Monday, September 12, 2011

10 years on-

and everyone is still thinking about the appalling tragedy that happened at Ground Zero.

At 8:46 am, on the 11th September 2001, two planes crashed into the Twin Towers, killing over 2000 people. Some of these workers in the buildings, and a few hundred being the brave fire fighters who entered the building trying to save the live's of others
.
I was only 5 years old at the time and didn't fully understand what was going on, and to be honest, even though I'm now 15, I still can't believe that something like this has happened. I just can't understand why someone would want to drive a plane full of innocent people into a building, on purpose, in the hope of killing many others.

I wished and hoped that something like this would never happen again, but then on July 7th 2005, London was bombed. Even though the amount injured (30+) and killed (52) weren't as big, for me it scared me even more. Mainly due to the fact that it was much closer to home, and living on a small island, I can't help but think, 'What if something like that happened over here? I'm not sure I would be able to stand a chance.'

I saw a photo the other day, and on it said, 'I dream of the day my child asked me, 'what was war?' ' I looked at this and I honestly had a lump in my throat. I don't know how many times I have wished for world peace, wether it be when I blow out my birthday candles, or throw salt over my shoulder. Either way, it still hasn't happened. And every time that I hear about new wars and conflicts breaking out, I can't help but think that we have all taken one giant step back towards our goal.

One day I hope that I will have to explain to future generations what was war and how it all came to a end. But until then, my thoughts go out to all of the victims of 9/11 and to all of those still affected by it today.


s
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment