Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Great Blackout of 2011

For the past few days I have been at home in bed ill. I still I am, I just wanted to write something on here because I'm missing it.

Last night my dad went to pick up my mum and my sister, leaving me in the house on my own, cooking my fish fingers and baked beans. I didn't mind this, I enjoyed the peace and quiet. However, I didn't enjoy the fact that about 2 minutes after my dad left, there was a blackout across the whole of Jersey, lasting what must have been just short of half an hour. Luckily, I knew where the matches were, and my mother loves scented candles. So I was fine on the lighting front. Also, if you remember Charlotte from a previous post, she was also out to keep me company. So I wasn't going to turn into the crazy cat lady off of the Simpsons- my cats buggered off anyway.

But sitting surrounded by candles, on my own, playing solitaire, really made me think about how much we need electricity. It got me thinking about what we would do if electricity was never invented. First of all, fish fingers and baked beans wouldn't be that much nice of a meal as it normally would, but second, as it was really dark outside, I wouldn't really know what to do in the winter. I think I would be pretty screwed. I couldn't log on to the computer to talk to friends on facebook, I couldn't finish cooking my tea, I couldn't listen to the radio, I had to go upstairs armed with a candle- proper Downton Abby style- just to find my mobile phone, as the house phone wasn't working. I think I would have made a rubbish cave man. I would be the one sitting in the corner of the cave near the fire. But it did make me think. I had to so that I wouldn't get scared at every sound I heard. Also, mum was out taking the dog for a walk so I couldn't even play with Harvey.

So after having an ephiny, finishing my game of solitaire and eating all of the dried mango in the house, the lights came back on and so Jersey's blackout came to a close. My family arrived home about 20 minutes later to find me in bed eating my fish finger sandwich and mushy baked beans. I left the beans- they didn't really cook that well. In all honesty, I think I enjoyed the blackout, it was peaceful and I actually won my game of solitaire!

s
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment